People all over the world have, at some point or another, used the platform to connect and communicate. It has everything, after all—status updates, the ability to chat and call by voice or video, and unsurprisingly, market products and services.
Facebook has become a valuable fixture in many people’s lives and an indispensable tool for marketers and businesses. It seems quite incredible to recall how the platform started out as a pet project of a Harvard student and his friends. When Mark Zuckerberg launched the online platform in February 2004, who would have thought that it will grow this big?
But it did. It came a long way from its humble beginning, receiving a $500,000 investment from the co-founder of PayPal, Peter Thiel. Facebook started out with 1 million registered users in 2004, but today, it is truly a force to be reckoned with.
The clever people behind 99firms.com illustrates some of these points in their brilliant infographic. Here are some of the interesting stats and facts that you must know:
- In 2018, Facebook has a staggering 2.23 billion monthly active users and 1.47 billion daily active users.
- Every minute, there are 317,000 status updates, 400 new user sign ups, and 54,000 shared links.
- Following an earthquake in Nepal in April 2015, 770,000 people from 175 countries used Facebook to donate more than $17 million in just one week.
- Facebook’s global revenue in the second quarter of 2018 alone was around $13.2 billion, and it is only expected to grow.
- Brands like Samsung, KFC, Coca-Cola, and Disney have their own official Facebook pages, engaging with millions of fans and potential customers.
- As a marketing tool, Facebook is quite valuable. As a matter of fact, 70% of marketers said they use the online platform to acquire new customers. Around 97% of them use Facebook advertising regularly.
- While it has its amazing benefits, Facebook has some downsides too. In 2016, it is found that at least one million children had been bullied on the platform. Also, 34% of Facebook bullying or trolling incidents last for more than 30 days.
There are many more facts and figures that you can discover from the infographic below. Check them out to better understand how Facebook permeates the lives of people all over the world.